Freeview was launched in 2008 and is the free digital television service in Australia which presents and promotes free-to-air channels and content to all Australians. Freeview encourages Australians to watch free-to-air content across various platforms by promoting benefits that include more than 25 channels and catch-up services for free. Freeview’s mission is to deliver free-to-air content to all Australians where, when and on whatever device they choose.
Now Freeview has launched a new mobile app, Freeview FV, allowing Australian viewers to watch live streaming of 19 TV channels and catch-up content from the free-to-air networks on the go, with just one click.
Live-streaming channels available at launch include ABC, SBS, Seven, Channel 9, TEN, ONE, ABC2/ABC KIDS, ABC ME, ABC News 24, 7TWO, 7Mate, 7Flix, Racing.com, 9Gem, 9Go! and 9Life. More live channels will be added as they become available.
You will have access to catch-up content from all the free-to-air networks including SBS On Demand, ABC iview, PLUS7, 9Now, and tenplay.
Developed by Freeview, the new Freeview FV app is available on iOS iPhone, iPad, and Android phones. In addition, to live streaming and catching up, the simple-to-use Freeview FV app offers other great features too.
Features of the Freeview FV app
Freeview FV delivers all the following great features:
- Live streaming from all the free-to-air networks – Get live streaming from 19 free-to-air channels including ABC, SBS, Seven, Channel 9, TEN, ONE, ABC2/ABC KIDS, ABC ME, ABC News 24, SBS2, Food Network, NITV, 7TWO, 7Mate, 7Flix, Racing.com, 9Gem, 9Go! and 9Life. More live channels will be added as they become available.
- Access to all catch-up TV- Access all catch-up TV from all the free-to-air networks including SBS On Demand, ABC iview, PLUS7, 9Now, and tenplay.
- Browse and search all free-to-air programs- Browse and search all free-to-air programs. Freeview FV makes it easy to find your favourite programs and discover new ones!
- A free-to-air TV guide- Find out what’s on free-to-air over the next 7 days with the Freeview FV TV Guide.
- Favourites and reminders functions- If there’s a program you don’t want to miss, simply SET a reminder. KEEP all your favourites listed in one place and access them with a simple press of a button.
- Recommendations- Not sure what’s on? The app will recommend the best of what’s coming up on both live and catch up TV. It’s a great snapshot of the best of what’s on across Freeview.
How to Install Freeview on Firestick
Freeview Play is officially not available on the Amazon App Store. So you have to sideload it on your Firestick. Here, downloader will come to your use as it helps you install third-party apps. You can get this tool from the Amazon App Store.
- Open the Fire TV home page and go to the settings using the remote.
- Click My Fire TV.
- Select Developer options on the next screen.
- Tap on the Apps from Unknown Sources option.
- A warning pop-up will appear on the screen. Click Turn on to enable it.
- Get back to the home screen and launch the Downloader app. If you haven’t installed it, get it from the Amazon App Store.
For the new Fire OS, you have to enable the Unknown Sources toggle for individual apps. Go to Settings –> My Fire TV –> Developer Options –> Install Unknown Apps –> Downloader –> Turn On.
- Open the Downloader app and enter the Freeview URL in the Search bar. Click Go.
- Scroll down the downloading page and then choose Download APK.
- The Freeview apk file will download on your Firestick. If not, tap the Click Here option to download the file.
- After downloading the file, choose the Install option.
- It will install the Freeview app on your Firestick.
- Tap Open to launch the Freeview FV.
If you do not want to sideload, cast Freeview FV from your Android device.
- Long-press the home button on your Fire TV remote and enable Display Mirroring on Firestick.
- On your Android device, download the Freeview FV app from Google Play Store.
- Go to Settings and tap the Cast option. You can find this option under the Display or Connection settings.
Note – Your Android device must be connected to the same WiFi network as Firestick.
- Choose your Firestick device and grant permission to mirror your screen.
- After mirroring the screen on Firestick, launch the Freeview FV app and stream the media.